Corrections Officer I
- Maintains security in buildings, towers and other posts of an adult correctional facility; intervenes during emergencies or altercations and gains physical control of offenders.
- Supervises movement of offenders inside and outside the correctional facility, conducts periodic counts of offenders, and searches offenders and their living quarters for contraband.
- Escorts and/or transports offenders to predetermined locations.
- Supervises offenders in housing units and during the performance of work activities and recreational and religious activities; conducts inspections for health and safety hazards.
- Prepares and submits reports on offender violations of divisional or correctional facility rules, unusual offender behaviors, observed mechanical deficiencies, and security breaches or failures.
- Discusses minor adjustment problems with offenders; refers serious problems to proper correctional facility staff and promotes rehabilitation by attempting to modify offender’s social attitudes, discouraging undesirable behaviors, and encouraging worthwhile activities.
- Supervises visits with offenders; searches visitors, offenders, buildings, and grounds for contraband.
- Performs work in accordance with established rules, regulations, post orders, and specific instructions; receives general administrative direction.
- Performs other related work as assigned.