Safety and Health Specialist
Buzzi Unicem USA, a major US cement manufacturer, is looking for a Safety and Health Specialist to join the team at our Cape Girardeau Plant located in Cape Girardeau, MO. The Safety and Health Specialist will plan, develop, review and oversee the safety & health program at the facility. This position is also responsible to complete safety & health assessments and makes recommendations to eliminate workplace hazards, improve performance and eliminate preventable accidents.
We believe our employees are our greatest asset and we continue to strive to provide a culture that supports career growth through strong leadership and development planning that is both financially and professionally rewarding for all our employees.
- Conducts facility safety & health record keeping and housekeeping assessments at predetermined intervals; summarizes and reports results to Plant Manager & Safety & Health Manager; follow-up on corrective action if necessary.
- Administers, in a timely and proactive manner, the Company's Safety and Health Program at the facility and other related programs designed for and by the facility.
- Observes employee work practices to ensure compliance with company rules and regulations and takes appropriate action to address deficiencies.
- Attends facility meetings as required and participates in job planning to implement needed safety factors.
- Motivates, by example, all employees to strive for an accident-free work environment: provides support for all departments to better enable employees to perform their jobs safely.
- Assists in the collection and analysis of inspection date to develop strategies and solutions to address reoccurring deficiencies at the facility to focus compliance and injury prevention efforts.
- Conducts, in conjunction with department manger or supervisor, accident investigations to identify root causes of accidents and injuries: Makes recommendations for corrective actions to reduce exposure potential.
- Attends seminars or training functions to further education and remain current with industry regulations.
- Reviews all newly enacted and proposed regulations presented by the Corporate Safety and Health Director: summarizes the potential impact on the facility and proposes programs to assist the facility with compliance.
- Participates in regulatory inspections (MSHA) and reviews all citations: develops arguments for contesting citations.
- Provides full coverage and oversight to ensure all safety responsibilities are properly addressed when the Plant Safety Manager is unavailable.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Safety and Health related field preferred
- 0-2 years in mining environment or equivalent preferred
- Knowledge of safety and health codes and regulations required, particularly MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build consensus, particularly in analyzing and solving problems related to employee safety and health
- Proficiency with MS Office skills including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Ability to train individuals or groups in all areas of safety and health
- Ability to identify potential hazards and safety violations, and proactively deal with them to prevent bodily injury or citations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Strong time management, decision making, presentation and organizations skills
- Passionate perspective on workplace safety
Buzzi Unicem USA offers competitive salary and excellent benefits including 401K.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please note that candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and that only qualified candidates will be contacted.